Merger activity increased last week with six new deals announced and three pending deals closing. You can find all the active deals listed below in our Merger Arbitrage Tool (MAT) that automatically updates itself during market hours.
There were two new deals announced in the Deals in the Works section.
|Total Number of Deals Closed in 2017||205|
|Total Number of Deals Not Completed in 2017||11|
|Total Number of Pending Deals|
|Stock & Cash Deals||8|
|Total Number of Pending Deals||74|
|Total Deal Size||$1043.04 billion|
- The acquisition of Barracuda Networks (CUDA) by Thoma Bravo for $1.29 billion or $27.55 per share in cash.
- The acquisition of MGC Diagnostics Corporation (MGCD) by affiliates of Altus Capital Partners for $52.63 million or $11.03 per share in cash.
- The acquisition of Bazaarvoice (BV) by entities affiliated with the global investment firm, Marlin Equity Partners for $398.69 million or $5.50 per share in cash.
- The acquisition of Buffalo Wild Wings (BWLD) by Arby’s Restaurant Group for $2.9 billion or $157 per share in cash. We added this “potential” deal to our Deals in the Works tool on November 13, 2017.
- The acquisition of Aetna (AET) by CVS Health (CVS) for $77 billion or $207 per share in a cash plus stock deal. We added this “potential” deal to our Deals in the Works tool on November 30, 2017.
- The acquisition of General Cable Corporation (BGC) by Prysmian Group for $3 billion or $30.00 per share in cash.
- On November 28, 2017, AT&T (T) and Time Warner (TWX) argued that their proposed $85.4 billion merger was “pro-competitive” and “pro-consumer”, as they sought to refute U.S. Justice Department allegations that the deal breaks antitrust law. The two companies have reportedly extended the deadline of their proposed merger to Apr 22, 2018. The duration of the deal was extended in order to gain the remaining regulatory approvals required to close the merger.
- On November 29, 2017, Orbital ATK (OA) announced that its stockholders overwhelmingly approved the merger agreement providing for the proposed acquisition of Orbital ATK by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NOC).
- On November 29, 2017, Genworth Financial (GNW) and China Oceanwide Holdings Group announced that they have agreed to a second waiver and agreement of each party’s right to terminate the previously announced merger agreement. The second waiver and agreement extends the previous deadline of Nov. 30, 2017, to April 1, 2018, and allows additional time for regulatory reviews of the transaction.
- On December 1, 2017, Bayer and Monsanto (MON) announced that the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (“CFIUS”) has completed its review of the proposed merger, and has concluded that there are no unresolved national security concerns with respect to the transaction.
- On December 1, 2017, At a special Meeting of Shareholders, Tesco (TESO) shareholders approved, by a large majority, the Arrangement pursuant to which Nabors (NBR) will acquire all of Tesco’s common shares in a stock-for-stock transaction.
- The acquisition of Fidelity & Guaranty Life (FGL) by CF Corporation (CFCO) on November 30, 2017. It took 190 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Park Sterling Corporation (PSTB) by South State Corporation (SSB) on December 1, 2017. It took 219 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Capital Bank Financial (CBF) by First Horizon National (FHN) on December 1, 2017. It took 211 days for this deal to be completed.
Top 10 deals with largest spreads:
|GNW||10/23/2016||China Oceanwide Holdings Group Co., Ltd. (N/A)||$5.43||$3.41||04/01/2018||59.24%||183.23%|
|BGC||12/04/2017||Prysmian Group (N/A)||$30.00||$21.80||09/30/2018||37.61%||45.76%|
|BCEI||11/15/2017||SandRidge Energy (SD)||$36.00||$27.99||03/31/2018||28.62%||89.28%|
|MGI||01/26/2017||Ant Financial Services Group (N/A)||$18.00||$14.17||12/31/2017||27.03%||365.39%|
|NXTM||08/07/2017||Fresenius Medical Care (N/A)||$30.00||$25.35||06/30/2018||18.34%||32.19%|
|TWX||10/22/2016||AT&T, Inc. (T)||$106.20||$91.30||04/22/2018||16.32%||42.86%|
|SXE||11/01/2017||American Midstream Partners, LP (AMID)||$1.95||$1.70||06/30/2018||14.82%||26.01%|
|AET||12/03/2017||CVS Health (CVS)||$207.94||$181.31||12/31/2018||14.69%||13.67%|
|YUME||09/05/2017||RhythmOne plc (RTHM.L)||$4.11||$3.61||03/31/2018||13.93%||43.44%|
|GLBL||03/07/2017||Brookfield Asset Management Inc. (BAM)||$5.10||$4.65||12/31/2017||9.68%||130.82%|
List of all pending deals:
List of all pending deals:
Disclaimer: I hold positions in Aetna (AET), TerraForm Global (GLBL), Fortress Investment Group (FIG), Southcross Energy Partners (SXE) and NewStar Financial (NEWS). Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.