Welcome to edition 376 of Insider Weekends. Insider buying declined with insiders purchasing $43.33 million of stock compared to $58.05 million in the week prior. Selling also declined with insiders selling $1.31 billion of stock last week compared to $1.44 billion in the week prior.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week went up to 30.31. In other words, insiders sold more than 30 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares unfavorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 24.89.
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. Tiffany & Co. (TIF): $92.37
Director Francesco Trapani acquired 125,000 shares of this luxury jewelry retailer, paying $88.88 per share for a total amount of $11.11 million. These shares were purchased indirectly by Argenta Holdings Sarl, which is 100% owned by Mr. Trapani.
Mr. Trapani was the CEO of Italian luxury goods retailer Bulgari from 1984 until its sale to LVMH in 2011. LVMH operates a collection of luxury “houses” or brands including Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Bvlgari and Tag Heuer. Mr. Trapani joined the board of Tiffany earlier this year when the company expanded its board of directors from 10 to 13 members in an agreement with activist hedge fund JANA Partners.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Tiffany & Co. here.
|P/E: 25.64||Forward P/E: 21.48||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 2.85||Price/Book: 3.76||EV/EBITDA: 12.56|
|Market Cap: $11.51B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,473,601||52 Week Range: $66.35 – $97.29|
2. Coty Inc. (COTY): $16.55
Shares of this cosmetics company were acquired by 4 insiders:
- President of Coty Luxury Edgar O. Huber acquired 80,000 shares, paying $16.43 per share for a total amount of $1.31 million. Mr. Huber increased his stake by 100.54% to 159,570 shares with this purchase.
- Chief Executive Officer Camillo Pane acquired 48,485 shares, paying $16.50 per share for a total amount of $800,003. Mr. Pane increased his stake by 16.86% to 336,142 shares with this purchase.
- President, Professional Beauty Sylvie Moreau acquired 48,153 shares, paying $16.79 per share for a total amount of $808,489. Mr. Moreau increased his stake by 98.51% to 97,035 shares with this purchase.
- Director Robert S. Singer acquired 20,000 shares, paying $16.30 per share for a total amount of $325,982. Mr. Singer increased his stake by 22.22% to 110,000 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Coty Inc. here.
|P/E: -60.18||Forward P/E: 17.99||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 1.62||Price/Book: 1.29||EV/EBITDA: 20.89|
|Market Cap: $12.39B||Avg. Daily Volume: 5,772,269||52 Week Range: $15.83 – $26.63|
3. Fiesta Restaurant Group, Inc. (FRGI): $18.25
Director Brian P. Friedman acquired 175,000 shares of this restaurant chain, paying $17.26 per share for a total amount of $3.02 million. These shares were purchased indirectly by Leucadia National Corporation.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Fiesta Restaurant Group, Inc. here.
|P/E: -58.87||Forward P/E: 14.96||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 0.7||Price/Book: 1.96||EV/EBITDA: 7.61|
|Market Cap: $489.74M||Avg. Daily Volume: 397,404||52 Week Range: $15.6 – $30.65|
4. American Assets Trust, Inc. (AAT): $40.75
Chairman, CEO & President Ernest S. Rady acquired 52,097 shares of this diversified REIT, paying $40.36 per share for a total amount of $2.1 million. These shares were purchased indirectly by American Assets, Inc.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for American Assets Trust, Inc. here.
|P/E: 57.48||Forward P/E: 43.35||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 8.77||Price/Book: 2.27||EV/EBITDA: 21.94|
|Market Cap: $2.62B||Avg. Daily Volume: 220,430||52 Week Range: $37.54 – $45.5|
5. First Data Corporation (FDC): $18.54
Executive Vice President Jeff Shanahan acquired 110,345 shares of this electronic commerce solutions provider, paying $18.18 per share for a total amount of $2 million. Mr. Shanahan increased his stake by 9.20% to 1,309,836 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for First Data Corporation here.
|P/E: 33.47||Forward P/E: 11.24||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 2.16||Price/Book: 12.48||EV/EBITDA: 13.89|
|Market Cap: $17.11B||Avg. Daily Volume: 3,302,530||52 Week Range: $12.74 – $19.2|
You can view the full list of purchases from this Insider Buying page.
Notable Insider Sales:
1. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT): $78.37
Shares of Wal-Mart were sold by 2 insiders:
- Director Robson S. Walton sold 2,117,863 shares for $78.45, generating $166.15 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
- Executive Vice President Jeffrey J. Gearhart sold 9,216 shares for $78.96, generating $727,698 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. here.
|P/E: 17.8||Forward P/E: 17.04||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 0.48||Price/Book: 3.21||EV/EBITDA: 8.70|
|Market Cap: $236.25B||Avg. Daily Volume: 9,119,406||52 Week Range: $65.28 – $81.99|
2. Facebook, Inc. (FB): $172.02
Shares of Facebook were sold by 3 insiders:
- Director Jan Koum sold 640,754 shares for $171.20, generating $109.69 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through a trust.
- COB and CEO Mark Zuckerberg sold 254,525 shares for $166.97, generating $42.49 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through various entities.
- VP and General Counsel Colin Stretch sold 750 shares for $166.85, generating $125,138 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Facebook, Inc. here.
|P/E: 43.74||Forward P/E: 28.57||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 15.06||Price/Book: 8||EV/EBITDA: 22.59|
|Market Cap: $499.58B||Avg. Daily Volume: 17,433,606||52 Week Range: $113.55 – $175.49|
3. J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. (JBHT): $99.35
Shares of this trucking company were sold by 3 insiders:
- 10% Owner Johnelle D. Hunt sold 975,000 shares for $98.00, generating $95.55 million from the sale.
- Director Earl Wayne Garrison sold 100,000 shares for $100.33, generating $10.03 million from the sale.
- EVP Dedicated Bradley W. Hicks sold 1,000 shares for $100.40, generating $100,400 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. here.
|P/E: 25.8||Forward P/E: 22.03||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 1.61||Price/Book: 7.96||EV/EBITDA: 10.40|
|Market Cap: $10.87B||Avg. Daily Volume: 941,978||52 Week Range: $76.2 – $102.38|
4. Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. (UBNT): $58.97
Chief Executive Officer Robert J. Pera sold 1,000,000 shares of this wireless communications company for $61.25, generating $61.25 million from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. here.
|P/E: 19.39||Forward P/E: 18.43||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 5.48||Price/Book: 8.72||EV/EBITDA: 13.15|
|Market Cap: $4.74B||Avg. Daily Volume: 484,256||52 Week Range: $45.71 – $67.8|
5. Hasbro, Inc. (HAS): $98.34
Shares of this toy company were sold by 4 insiders:
- Director Alan G. Hassenfeld sold 379,626 shares for $95.67, generating $36.32 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through various trusts.
- EVP & Chief Commercial Officer Wiebe Tinga sold 25,009 shares for $94.92, generating $2.37 million from the sale. 15,009 of these shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- President John Frascotti sold 23,000 shares for $96.70, generating $2.22 million from the sale. These shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- EVP & Chief Content Officer Stephen J. Davis sold 2,437 shares for $96.57, generating $235,331 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Hasbro, Inc. here.
|P/E: 21.86||Forward P/E: 18.91||Industry P/E: 12.96|
|P/S: 2.4||Price/Book: 6.64||EV/EBITDA: 14.62|
|Market Cap: $12.3B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,084,656||52 Week Range: $76.14 – $116.2|
You can view the full list of sales from this Insider Sales page.
Disclaimer: Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.