Welcome to edition 372 of Insider Weekends. Insider buying declined sharply with insiders purchasing $29.30 million of stock compared to $94.97 million in the week prior. Selling on the other hand more than doubled with insiders selling $1.55 billion of stock last week compared to $651.35 million in the week prior.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week went up to 52.91. In other words, insiders sold almost 53 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares unfavorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 6.86.
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. Crown Castle International Corp. (CCI): $102.02
Director Landis J. Martin acquired 30,000 shares of this wireless tower REIT, paying $100.64 per share for a total amount of $3.02 million. Mr. Martin increased his stake by 43.27% to 99,335 shares with this purchase. 4,000 of these shares were purchased indirectly by Mr. Martin’s spouse.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Crown Castle International Corp. here.
|P/E: 87.27||Forward P/E: 68.47||Industry P/E: 34.15|
|P/S: 9.25||Price/Book: 5.01||EV/EBITDA: 30.10|
|Market Cap: $37.72B||Avg. Daily Volume: 2,887,106||52 Week Range: $79.38 – $104.68|
2. Lands End, Inc. (LE): $13.2
10% Owner Edward S. Lampert acquired 100,949 shares of this apparel retailer, paying $13.00 per share for a total amount of $1.31 million.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Lands End, Inc. here.
|P/E: -3.78||Forward P/E: 38.82||Industry P/E: 38.75|
|P/S: 0.32||Price/Book: 1.6||EV/EBITDA: 27.68|
|Market Cap: $422.79M||Avg. Daily Volume: 178,103||52 Week Range: $12.9 – $24.8|
3. Teradata Corporation (TDC): $31.91
President and CEO Victor L. Lund acquired 31,270 shares of this analytic data company, paying $31.95 per share for a total amount of $999,108. These shares were purchased indirectly by the Lund family.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Teradata Corporation here.
|P/E: 24.89||Forward P/E: 24.74||Industry P/E: 21.12|
|P/S: 1.91||Price/Book: 4.34||EV/EBITDA: 9.10|
|Market Cap: $4.18B||Avg. Daily Volume: 2,136,057||52 Week Range: $26.27 – $33.32|
4. Apollo Global Management, LLC (APO): $29
Shares of this alternative investment manager were acquired by 2 insiders:
- Director Robert K. Kraft acquired 30,000 shares, paying $28.88 per share for a total amount of $866,508. These. shares were purchased indirectly by KPC US Equity LLC
- Director Pauline Richards acquired 1,193 shares, paying $28.87 per share for a total amount of $34,445. Ms. Richards increased her stake by 2.71% to 45,289 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Apollo Global Management, LLC here.
|P/E: 9.53||Forward P/E: 10.36||Industry P/E: 149.79|
|P/S: 5.39||Price/Book: 5.96||EV/EBITDA: 4.51|
|Market Cap: $11.94B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,089,950||52 Week Range: $17.38 – $29.2|
5. General Motors Company (GM): $35.27
Shares of General Motors were acquired by 2 insiders:
- Director Thomas M. Schoewe acquired 14,360 shares, paying $34.76 per share for a total amount of $499,145. Mr. Schoewe increased his stake by 187.84% to 22,005 shares with this purchase.
- Director Patricia F. Russo acquired 10,000 shares, paying $34.73 per share for a total amount of $347,300. Ms. Russo increased her stake by 434.78% to 12,300 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for General Motors Company here.
|P/E: 5.46||Forward P/E: 5.92||Industry P/E: 16.06|
|P/S: 0.3||Price/Book: 1.15||EV/EBITDA: 5.07|
|Market Cap: $51.4B||Avg. Daily Volume: 12,134,136||52 Week Range: $30.13 – $38.55|
You can view the full list of purchases from this Insider Buying page.
Notable Insider Sales:
1. Hasbro, Inc. (HAS): $103.49
Shares of this toy company were sold by 5 insiders:
- Director Alan G. Hassenfeld sold 497,757 shares for $105.85, generating $52.69 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through various trusts.
- Chairman & CEO Brian Goldner sold 205,656 shares for $105.69, generating $21.74 million from the sale. These shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- EVP, Chief Strategy Officer Duncan Billing sold 39,820 shares for $106.27, generating $4.23 million from the sale. 18,646 of these shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- EVP, Chief Commerical Officer Wiebe Tinga sold 25,000 shares for $104.01, generating $2.6 million from the sale.
- EVP, Chief HR Officer Dolph Johnson sold 1,600 shares for $106.50, generating $170,408 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Hasbro, Inc. here.
|P/E: 23||Forward P/E: 19.9||Industry P/E: 28.78|
|P/S: 2.52||Price/Book: 6.99||EV/EBITDA: 14.62|
|Market Cap: $12.94B||Avg. Daily Volume: 915,893||52 Week Range: $76.14 – $116.2|
2. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL): $119.69
Shares of this cruise company were sold by 4 insiders:
- Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fain sold 210,706 shares for $115.83, generating $24.41 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly by Monument Capital Corporation.
- Pres., Chief Operating Officer Adam M. Goldstein sold 120,000 shares for $118.21, generating $14.19 million from the sale.
- President & CEO, Azamara Club Cruises Lawrence R. Pimentel sold 17,000 shares for $120.50, generating $2.05 million from the sale.
- Director Bernt Reitan sold 4,793 shares for $117.22, generating $561,827 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. here.
|P/E: 18.5||Forward P/E: 14.42||Industry P/E: 28.26|
|P/S: 2.97||Price/Book: 2.78||EV/EBITDA: 10.95|
|Market Cap: $25.74B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,274,825||52 Week Range: $65.1 – $120.96|
3. Southern Copper Corporation (SCCO): $38.72
Chairman of the Board German Larrea Mota Velasco sold 900,670 shares of this copper mining company for $39.50, generating $35.58 million from the sale.
We had highlighted several purchases of Southern Copper by Mexico’s reclusive billionaire Mr. Mota-Velasco in late 2015 at prices ranging from $24 to $27 per share. Copper was trading at a multi-year low near $2.10/lb when he made his purchases and has since rebounded to $2.87/lb along with the price of Southern Copper’s stock.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Southern Copper Corporation here.
|P/E: 33.07||Forward P/E: 19.65||Industry P/E: 137.16|
|P/S: 5.06||Price/Book: 4.92||EV/EBITDA: 12.31|
|Market Cap: $29.93B||Avg. Daily Volume: 681,922||52 Week Range: $24.9 – $39.94|
4. Credit Acceptance Corporation (CACC): $271.12
Shares of this credit services company were sold by 3 insiders:
- 10% Owner Jill Foss Watson sold 112,000 shares for $272.66, generating $30.54 million
- Sr. Vice President & Treasurer Douglas W. Busk sold 2,500 shares for $267.72, generating $669,308 from the sale.
- Chief Financial Officer Kenneth Booth sold 2,000 shares for $273.01, generating $546,015 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Credit Acceptance Corporation here.
|P/E: 15.59||Forward P/E: 13.46||Industry P/E: 60.07|
|P/S: 6.25||Price/Book: 4.59||EV/EBITDA: 9.63|
|Market Cap: $5.25B||Avg. Daily Volume: 214,525||52 Week Range: $160.63 – $279|
5. The Charles Schwab Corporation (SCHW): $43.11
Shares of this investment brokerage were sold by 3 insiders:
- Chairman Charles R. Schwab sold 666,000 shares for $43.16, generating $28.75 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through various trusts.
- President – CSIM Marie A. Chandoha sold 9,705 shares for $43.17, generating $418,925 from the sale. These shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
- EVP – Investor Services Terri R. Kallsen sold 2,000 shares for $43.07, generating $86,137 from the sale. These shares were sold as a result of exercising options immediately prior to the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for The Charles Schwab Corporation here.
|P/E: 30.57||Forward P/E: 22.11||Industry P/E: 47.16|
|P/S: 7.13||Price/Book: 4.06||EV/EBITDA: 11.58|
|Market Cap: $57.64B||Avg. Daily Volume: 7,001,893||52 Week Range: $29.23 – $44.1|
You can view the full list of sales from this Insider Sales page.
Disclaimer: I hold a long position in General Motors (GM). Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.