Welcome to edition 367 of Insider Weekends. Insider buying increased last week with insiders buying $39.36 million of stock compared to $32.53 million in the week prior. Selling declined with insiders selling $638.73 million of stock last week compared to $716.41 million in the week prior. We are at a seasonally quiet period for insider transactions and so activity is likely to remain muted for a couple of weeks.
Sell/Buy Ratio: The insider Sell/Buy ratio is calculated by dividing the total insider sales in a given week by total insider purchases that week. The adjusted ratio for last week dropped to 16.23. In other words, insiders sold more than 16 times as much stock as they purchased. The Sell/Buy ratio this week compares favorably with the prior week, when the ratio stood at 22.02.
Note: As mentioned in the first post in this series, certain industries have their preferred metrics such as same store sales for retailers, funds from operations (FFO) for REITs and revenue per available room (RevPAR) for hotels that provide a better basis for comparison than simple valuation metrics. However metrics like Price/Earnings, Price/Sales and Enterprise Value/EBITDA included below should provide a good starting point for analyzing the majority of stocks.
Notable Insider Buys:
1. Selecta Biosciences (SELB): $0
Director Timothy A. Springer acquired 338,791 shares of this clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, paying $17.71 per share for a total amount of $5.99 million. Mr. Springer increased his stake by 2,038.21% to 355,413 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Selecta Biosciences here.
|P/E: -4.78||Forward P/E: -7.47||Industry P/E: 228.83|
|P/S: N/A||Price/Book: N/A||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $376.37M||Avg. Daily Volume: 103,596||52 Week Range: $10.26 – $28|
2. Lululemon Athletica Inc. (LULU): $59.67
Director Glenn Murphy acquired 100,000 shares of this yoga and athletic apparel company, paying $55.50 per share for a total amount of $5.55 million. Mr. Murphy increased his stake by 3822.63% to 102,616 shares with this purchase.
Mr. Murphy was appointed to Lululemon’s board as Co-Chairman in April. Mr. Murphy had previously served as the Chairman and the CEO of The Gap (GPS) for seven years.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Lululemon Athletica Inc. here.
|P/E: 28.27||Forward P/E: 22.6||Industry P/E: 25.85|
|P/S: 3.45||Price/Book: 6.06||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $8.18B||Avg. Daily Volume: 4,623,596||52 Week Range: $47.26 – $81.81|
3. United Community Financial Corp. (UCFC): $8.31
Director Marty E. Adams acquired 404,000 shares of this financial services holding company, paying $8.00 per share for a total amount of $3.23 million. These shares were purchased indirectly through a trust.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for United Community Financial Corp. here.
|P/E: 23.21||Forward P/E: 12.59||Industry P/E: 21.09|
|P/S: 4.82||Price/Book: 1.49||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $412.88M||Avg. Daily Volume: 106,417||52 Week Range: $5.7 – $9.5|
4. EQT Corporation (EQT): $58.59
Director Bray A. Cary Jr. acquired 28,000 shares of this natural gas company, paying $53.55 per share for a total amount of $1.49 million.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for EQT Corporation here.
|P/E: -34.02||Forward P/E: 39.59||Industry P/E: 20.95|
|P/S: 4.66||Price/Book: 1.69||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $10.15B||Avg. Daily Volume: 3,222,612||52 Week Range: $49.63 – $78.84|
5. Teledyne Technologies Incorporated (TDY): $127.65
Vice President Thomas H. Reslewic acquired 5,000 shares of this Aerospace products company, paying $124.50 per share for a total amount of $622,500. Mr. Reslewic increased his stake by 47.94% to 15,429 shares with this purchase.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Teledyne Technologies Incorporated here.
|P/E: 25.07||Forward P/E: 20.17||Industry P/E: 19.02|
|P/S: 2.06||Price/Book: 2.8||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $4.5B||Avg. Daily Volume: 213,419||52 Week Range: $94.68 – $137|
You can view the full list of purchases from this Insider Buying page.
Notable Insider Sales:
1. Legg Mason, Inc. (LM): $38.16
Director Tian Qiao Chen sold 4,232,500 shares of this asset management company for $38.43, generating $162.65 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly by Shanda Asset Management Investment Limited.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Legg Mason, Inc. here.
|P/E: 17.5||Forward P/E: 11.78||Industry P/E: 137.94|
|P/S: 1.29||Price/Book: 0.92||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $3.72B||Avg. Daily Volume: 932,308||52 Week Range: $27.62 – $40.82|
2. Arista Networks, Inc. (ANET): $149.79
President and CEO Jayshree Ullal sold 120,150 shares of this networking solutions provider for $160.15, generating $19.24 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through various trusts.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Arista Networks, Inc. here.
|P/E: 48.38||Forward P/E: 31.67||Industry P/E: 19.99|
|P/S: 8.82||Price/Book: 8.77||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $10.79B||Avg. Daily Volume: 838,895||52 Week Range: $62.21 – $162.97|
3. Accenture plc (ACN): $123.68
Shares of this management and technology consulting company were sold by 11 insiders:
- Chairman & CEO Pierre Nanterme sold 40,134 shares for $123.02, generating $4.94 million from the sale.
- Group Chief Exec-Growth Mkts Gianfranco Casati sold 6,836 shares for $122.97, generating $840,634 from the sale.
- Group Chief Exec-Products Alexander Van’t Noordende sold 6,525 shares for $122.98, generating $802,461 from the sale.
- Group Chief Exec-North America Julie Spellman Sweet sold 5,322 shares for $122.98, generating $654,522 from the sale.
- Chief Operating Officer Johan Deblaere sold 5,000 shares for $122.99, generating $614,957 from the sale.
- Chief Financial Officer David Rowland sold 4,065 shares for $123.00, generating $500,011 from the sale.
- General Counsel and CCO Chad T. Jerdee sold 3,200 shares for $122.97, generating $393,520 from the sale.
- Grp Chief Exec-Com, Med & Tech Robert E. Sell sold 3,000 shares for $122.98, generating $368,952 from the sale.
- Chief Leadership & HR Officer Ellyn Shook sold 2,200 shares for $122.97, generating $270,541 from the sale.
- Group Chief Executive-Fin Serv Richard Lumb sold 2,200 shares for $122.97, generating $270,542 from the sale.
- Group Chief Exec-Resources Jean-Marc Ollagnier sold 2,011 shares for $123.03, generating $247,417 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Accenture plc here.
|P/E: 21.9||Forward P/E: 19.2||Industry P/E: 20.58|
|P/S: 2.24||Price/Book: 9.36||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $76.43B||Avg. Daily Volume: 2,208,972||52 Week Range: $108.83 – $128.47|
4. Twitter, Inc. (TWTR): $17.87
Director Evan Clark Williams sold 452,500 shares of Twitter for $17.82, generating $8.06 million from the sale. These shares were sold indirectly through various trusts.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Twitter, Inc. here.
|P/E: -28.92||Forward P/E: 45.82||Industry P/E: 33.09|
|P/S: 5.22||Price/Book: 2.76||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $12.97B||Avg. Daily Volume: 18,539,329||52 Week Range: $14.12 – $25.25|
5. Wayfair Inc. (W): $76.88
Shares of this ecommerce company were sold by 4 insiders:
- Co-Founder Steven Conine sold 50,000 shares for $75.94, generating $3.79 million from the sale.
- Chief Executive Officer Niraj Shah sold 50,000 shares for $75.94, generating $3.79 million from the sale.
- Chief Technology Officer John Champlin Mulliken sold 1,400 shares for $75.10, generating $105,133 from the sale.
- Chief Product/Marketing Edmond Macri sold 600 shares for $75.01, generating $45,006 from the sale.
You can view the list of recent insider transactions for Wayfair Inc. here.
|P/E: -31.3||Forward P/E: -105.32||Industry P/E: 70.58|
|P/S: 1.85||Price/Book: 182.18||EV/EBITDA: N/A|
|Market Cap: $6.66B||Avg. Daily Volume: 1,747,075||52 Week Range: $27.6 – $78.21|
You can view the full list of sales from this Insider Sales page.
Disclaimer: I have a long position in Twitter. Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.